Friday, December 10, 2021

Burda Joggers for My Son

I actually sewed these joggers, kind of, a year ago. I mean, I did sew them and Alex did wear them occasionally, but the fit was abysmal, I botched the rapids for the waist string and they fell off, leaving holes in the waistband and the cuffs were made out of some large stitch rib knit I had bought in my then ignorance about knits, which stretched awfully.

So, I decided that there was no point in keeping these poor joggers as they were - I had either to fix them or send them off to the recycle bin.  (We don't have Goodwill shops here, but I regularly collect and deliver bags of discarded clothes to H&M for recycling, very convenient. )

Well, me being me, I couldn't give up without a fight, more so that now I thought I knew how to fix the problems. I undid all of the seams except for the outer side seams (at least I didn't have to attach the pockets again). 

The problem with the fit was that the joggers were very baggy, especially from behind. So, I figured it was the central back line, which was way too long. I shortened it by 5 cm at the crotch and I also shortened the whole rise by additional 2 cm at the waist line.

Then I added a new tighter waist band, no rapids and strings as per Alex's explicit desire, and new tighter ankle cuffs out of black rib knit.

And now Alex has a pair of joggers for winter, that actually fit him really well. The fabric turned out not to be of the highest quality, unfortunately, and it already shows signs of pilling, but with these French Terries I've been buying lately it is always a hit and miss, regardless of the price :( I'll have to learn to recognize better quality eventually.

Pattern: Burda 6719
Size 46
Fabric: French Terry, rib knit for cuffs and waistband
Time to make: 1 day


No comments:

Post a Comment