Friday, January 28, 2022

Hoodie Johnny by Vikisews

And here's the second of my finished sewing projects this year, which is also one of my selfless sewing items in the Make Nine list - a hoodie for husband. 

I have two Burda men's patterns for hoodies, both with raglan sleeves and kangaroo pockets. When I discussed with husband the plans for his hoodie, he however did not like them much. So we browsed through the men's patterns on Vikisews site and found this FREE! pattern with set-in sleeves and side pockets, which was exactly what husband was looking for.

The body of the hoodie is ingeniously divided into three parts - front, back and side panels and the pockets are added in the seams between the side panels and the fronts. Because husband's favourite colors are red and orange, he chose again a red lining for the inner part of the pockets and the hood and I think it suits the dark grey color of the outer fabric just perfectly. 

I bought (for 0 RUB) size 46 and made it almost without modifications. My preliminary measurements of the pattern pieces showed that the width and the length fitted husband exactly as he wanted the hoodie to fit, I only added 3 cm to the sleeve length (which might have been actually redundant). However, I haven't properly washed the fabric yet, only steam blocked it, so I wanted to have room for eventual shrinkage.


The only proper modification of the pattern I made is the hood, which is supposed to be cut in one piece, with a seam on the top to form the curve. I prefer a classic two-piece hood, so I modified the pattern piece. I installed rivets for a drawstring and bought a proper string, but husband said he always found drawstrings annoying, so for now he hood is left stringless.

And another small modification, born more out of necessity than deliberation - I added two 9 cm pieces of fabric to the hem ribbing. My ribbing was a tube only 90 cm wide, when cut, so I needed to elongate it and I decided to make it like in some commercial blazers with fabric patches next to the zipper. I actually like it very much like that.

 
Size: 46
Fabric: sweatshirt fleece, polyester knit lining
Time to make: one week

Husband is demonstrating his contrasting red pockets, matching the red pockets of his Jack Sweatpants, another pattern by Vikisews I made for him as a Christmas present. BTW, in these photos he is also wearing a Burda Longsleeve I made for him last autumn.


No comments:

Post a Comment