Thursday, January 20, 2022

Denim Jacket

Ta-da! The first finished sewing item for 2022 and the first of my Make Nine - the denim jacket.

We were very lucky today, that the weather cleared a bit, the sun shone brightly and the temperatures rose from -10C in the morning to about 4C in the early afternoon, when we took these photos in the local park. Of course, we had a nice stroll afterwards, basking in the sun, and of course, I had my winter jacket on right after the last photo was taken :))


The pattern is Burda #109 02/2010, a cropped denim jacket, designed for shorter women (height 160 cm). I chose size 18 (S) and made a proper muslin first. Based on my muslin, I narrowed the back by 2 cm, shortened the sleeves by 2 cm and shortened the sleeve heads by 2 cm. 
I had a very small piece of denim fabric I took from the scraps bin almost for pennies last summer. I never imagined it would be enough for a jacket, I took it with the idea to make a mixed fabric denim jacket as I saw in Knip Mode last year. However, I was able to squeeze almost the entire thing out of this small unevenly cut piece (between 75 and 85 cm long, 150 cm wide), only the inner piece of the collar is cut from old jeans.

Another modification I made to the pattern - I made the yoke pieces single layer. I would have done it even if I wasn't short of fabric, as I think this is a warm weather piece and the double yoke out of denim would have been redundant. 

General first impression - a very good pattern, which I would definitely recommend. Because of the cold weather outside I am modelling it with jeans and boots, but I think it will be perfect with spring and summer dresses. 

Size: 18, modified
Fabric: denim
Time to make: two weeks

I definitely like the tailored design of the jacket and I think Gaby might like one for herself too, if she needs a light and cropped denim jacket.

A view from the park to the snow covered peaks of Vitosha:


2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely wonderful - fantastic work!

    It looks really professional.

    Great way to start the year!

    ReplyDelete