Thursday, January 6, 2022

Light Asherton Scarf

I have one more sewing project, finished in 2021, to photo and show you, but here is my first project, finished in 2022. It is a scarf I cast on December 27th and knitted hurriedly through the last days of 2021 and the first days of 2022, so that Gaby could take it with her, blocked and dry, to Vienna, as a present for her boyfriend.

The yarn is again Italian bobbin yarn, 90% merino ultrafine and 10% cashmere. It is very thin, 1500 m / 100 g, so I wound it in four balls and knitted the shawl in four threads. After blocking it softened and the cashmere content fluffed, so the texture became very nice to the touch. However in retrospect, I wish I had knitted it in 5 or even 6 threads, as it came out a bit thin and light.


The pattern is probably my most favourite men's scarf pattern - Asherton, which I already knitted once several years ago. Not only is this pattern beautiful and swanky, but it is also free! The chart is fairly easy to follow and it produces a subtle and interesting reversible relief. The original pattern is written row by row and stitch by stitch, but as I am a visual knitter, when it comes to instructions, I prefer charts and proportions and despise garrulous wording, so last time I knitted this scarfI drafted a chart, which I published on my Ravelry page. This time I simply printed the chart again and after one repeat memorized it and followed it without any need of consulting it. I really don't know how people knit without charts!

 
Yarn:  Filatura Papi Fabio Dorotea, 1500 m / 100g, 130 g in four threads
Needle: 3.5 mm
Time to knit: one week
Blocked size: 23 cm wide x 173 cm long

Because my yarn is very thin and I knitted the scarf only in four threads, it came a bit light, more suitable perhaps for Vienna autumns and springs, rather than winter. Still, I hope it is wide and long enough to provide adequate cover. Now I am in the process of designing a suitable hat to go with the scarf, as I have plenty of the yarn left.


No comments:

Post a Comment