Saturday, May 23, 2020

Rhapsody Number 5


I made another Rhapsody blouse for myself and I believe this is the final one. I had had this poly crepe drapy fabric, made out of 100% polyester, for seven years and a few years ago I actually cut it and partially sewed it into a Burda dress. However, the dress was a disaster and I never finished it.


Last year I took out the project, undid all the seams and ... left it at that. When I began sewing the Rhapsodies this year, I clearly saw that the crepe fabric was ideal for this type of blouse. But there were some difficulties - like the pieces of the Rhapsody did not all fit into the already cut pieces of the failed dress. So I had to hack a bit the Rhapsody - I moved the line of the gathers at the level of the V-opening, thus shortening the front and respectively lengthened the front part of the yoke. It does not improve the pattern, but allowed me to fit my front and back perfectly into the skirt of the dress.


I also had to play a bit with the flutter sleeves, as they were a couple of inches wider than the fabric piece I had allocated for them , so I cut and gathered a bit the flutter on the pattern piece. I don't think it made much difference to the overall appearance of the sleeves, as they are still wide enough and preserve the original form.


Although I am very reserved about polyester clothing, I have to admit - this is my new favourite T-shirt. I've already worn it a couple of times - no ironing, quick drying, very low maintenance. Even if the blouse does not last long, it was totally worth the effort to save the fabric.



1 comment: