Thursday, May 21, 2020

Think Pink Cosy Cardigan and Bailen Top


Two of my most favorite free patterns lately, which I've sewn multiple times - the Think Pink Cosy Cardigan and the Bailen Dress & Top. I'm a big fan of Alisa Shay's video channel Thoughtful Creativity, where she often presents free sewing patterns she's sewn or checked and these two are among her favourites. Back in February I sewed my first Think Pink Cosy Cardigan, but I messed the sizing and it came a bit too snug. I still wore it a lot at home over my Laundry Day Tunic, so it was not a complete failure. Soon after I finished the first cardigan, I cut my second one in this very thin and drapy polyester knit. This time I made size S, without shortening it and it turned exactly the cardigan I needed - light, long and with pockets.

I've worn it and wear it a lot and sometimes lend it to Gaby too :), over a top, for an evening walk. I find it very comfortable with these big pockets, in which I can put my phone, when I go for my daily walk in the park, listening to some music (lately I'm crazy about Angus and Julia Stone).



The second precious free pattern is this french cami, Bailen Top & Dress by Pauline Alice. The pattern is a free pdf download, comes in 8 sizes and with instructions in three languages - English, French and Spanish.
I've already made four out of fabric remnants, as it takes so little fabric! This one came from the remnants of the woven viscose for my first Rhapsody . I had enough, so it was cut on the bias, as per the pattern, with a small modification - I made the size 34 for Gaby and a also reduced the width of the cami under the arms by 1 cm on each pattern piece, a total of 4 cm, as it was a bit gaping, by simply straitening the curve of the side seam.


I made all of my seams french seams, the hem is narrow hem as shown in the instructions and the straps are made with bias tape. With six Rhapsody style blouses and four camis, all with bias tape straps, I feel like I've been making bias tape all spring long :)


The weather this year is very warm for spring and Gaby has been wearing her cami quite a lot, both at home and outside. And though I made already four, I'm keeping the pattern on top of my sewing table, it is a great stash buster, easy to sew and so comfortable and flattering to wear. And I think a Bailen Dress would be something to consider for the hot summer days too.


2 comments:

  1. A cardigan is such a great staple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar cami-dress cut on the bias in navy (originally it was a petticoat that came with a long-sleeved lace dress) and it's wonderful in summer. Perfect for beachy holidays if we ever get to the beach again!

    You should definitely make one!

    I've been looking for a pattern to replicate my dress and the Bailén looks perfect. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete