Thursday, October 28, 2021

White Boatneck Blouse

And one more blouse for Gaby. I've been eyeing this boat neck top pattern from Burdastyle 09 / 2021 for almost two months and I finally came to making it.

 It is a simple and straight forward t-shirt pattern with 3/4 sleeves and what makes it a bit more than a basic tee is the neckline, faced with a contrast bias band. The extended shoulder ends of the back and the front overlap and create an interesting visual effect. I sewed the extended back piece in place, as I didn't want the neck to gape and I find the resulting neckline quite comfortable to wear.

I cut the blouse size 34 without modifications, but I had to make some in the course of the making of the top, as the circumference of the sleeve head turned out to be smaller than the sleeve opening. Of course, I checked the paper pattern to make sure it wasn't my doing, but alas - it's a constructional mistake. In order for the sleeve to fit properly, its head has to be a bit bigger or equal (for knits) to the armhole, but not smaller. To compensate, I elongated the head and simultaneously took in the arm opening a little (some 8 mm on both sides of the side seams). If I ever decide to replicate the pattern, I should have this issue in mind and cut the pieces to fit better in advance.

My fabric is cotton jersey, soft but fairly thin, so I suppose the top will not be very appropriate for the coming winter months. However, I hope it will get some wear come spring, its white and black colors should make it easy to combine with bottoms.

Size: 34
Fabric: cotton jersey
Time to make: 2 days


No comments:

Post a Comment