Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Vienna in 2021

This time last week I was in Vienna! I hadn't travelled abroad since last March and I had kind of forgotten how much I LO-O-OVE travelling. I had three absolutely wonderful days in Vienna, roamed the streets, gardens and parks, churches and museums, spent some quality time with Gaby and her lovely boyfriend and headed back home absolutely energized and filled with positivity. 

I've been playing with the idea to start learning German for years, but I didn't want to mess with my Spanish and from previous experience I knew a new language would come at the expense of the other. But the visit to Austria made me realize that I would only benefit from learning German - Gaby started her master's degree in Molecular Biology at Vienna University and my visits to Vienna would be the perfect opportunity to try my newly acquired language skills. So, last week I bit the bullet and added two new courses to my Duolingo program - German through English (the main course) and German through Spanish. So far it's truly fun and once I get a bit ahead in the language I'll think of some proper language course at Goethe Institut.

:Stephansplatz 

:The view from the Southern tower of Stephansdom

:Stephansdom

:The view from the Northern tower


:Stadtpark

:Karlskirche


:Belvedere palace


:Schönbrunn Palace and Park - definitely my favourite place in Vienna









:Volkgarten, another beloved place

:I would love to be able to do my morning runs in this garden among the roses :)

:Hofburg Palace

:Burggarten

 :The Museum of Art History. I spent here almost my entire second day and I could have stayed until closing hours, if I hadn't other engagements - their Dutch masters' collection is amazing!





:The amazing Hundertwasserhaus



:The Albertina Museum - another museum I would love to visit again, especially the Batliner collection



:The Opera house

:The Pest column

:I listened to an organ concert in the St Peter Catholic Church

Until next time, Vienna! I'll be coming back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment