Friday, December 9, 2022

Navy Blue Hoodie

When we went out today to take a few photos of my new hoodie, husband asked me "Didn't we already take photos of it a few days ago?" I know, I've been making a lot of hoodies lately, but this one is  brand-new and it is for me!

It is actually kind of a bonus-hoodie, as the fabric is the lighter weight sweater fabric I bought as a lining fabric for Gaby's navy hoodie and joggers, the rib fabric is a remnant from Gaby's hoodie also, the pink lining of the hood is a remnant from a couple of T-shirts I made for Gaby and myself this summer and the cord of the hoodie is also some remnant cord I had in my stash - so no new fabric or notion, total stash-busting, win-win!

The pattern is another Burda pattern from my stash, Burda 6315B, with the hood from Burda 6315A. As far as fit and comfort go, this is actually the best hoodie pattern I've made and I've made a few. However, I find the hood too roomy even for myself, and I love roomy hoods. Next time, and I'm sure I'll be repeating this pattern, I would modify it to be more like the hood from Burda #103 01/2017, which I made earlier this year. What I've found is, that the best fitting hoods are those, that have a broad overlapping at the front - it prevents them from pulling too much backwards.

Pattern: Burda 6315
Size: 36 with corrections for height
Fabric: two-thread sweater knit fabric, rib knit, pink jersey knit
Time to make: 5 days

I added two pink elements to the hoodie to pull in the pink of the hood lining - a pink label from an old blouse and pink wooden balls at the end of the hood string. My initial idea was to make a small machine embroidery of a pink flower at the corner of the kangaroo pocket, but all of my attempts at doing embroidery on my machine looked so pathetic that I finally abandoned the idea and settled for the pink label.

The pink wooden balls are also custom-made. I had basic white wooden balls I had bought in bulk for my crocheted necklaces and earrings and I painted six of the balls pink, using one of my nail polishes. It actually worked like a charm and the color came out very close to that of the hood lining. So, never despair if you can't find the right color buttons or balls, sometimes nail polish can be your best friend :)

I have at least three more hoodies to sew this season, two men's and one women's, so stay tuned, there'll be more of these here in the coming weeks :)



No comments:

Post a Comment