Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Bonus Burda Shorts

Remember these Burda joggers I made for myself about a month ago? The fabric is very high quality cotton french terry and I had quite a lot of it left. I could make another pair of joggers for myself or Gaby, but I decided to be generous and make something for Alex, even though he rarely requests hand made clothes.

Alex is in his early twenties and he is always hot, so he prefers shorts to long joggers. When I laid the pieces of the pattern (the newly acquired VikiSews Jack joggers) it became clear to me that I would have so large scraps left that if I placed all pattern pieces cleverly (my favourite game - pattern tetris again) could actually have a pair of shorts for myself too.

I already had the pattern cut and made once this summer - shorts 118 from Burda 06 / 2021. In all honesty I'm not a big fan of this pattern and next time I will definitely try some other cut. I did tinker a bit with the fit, but it ис still not the best, the problem is probably that these shorts аre simply too wide.

The only tricky part of the sewing are the in-seam pockets and this time I followed this video tutorial, probably the best of all I've watched on the topic on youtube. 

And one more detail - I made the same mistake as last time - added a wide elastic, finished everything off, tried the pants on and realized the gathering around the waist was awful. So, I took the elastic out, sewed three 13 mm channels into the waistband, using very narrow zigzag stitch, and added three strips of 1 cm elastic. This is definitely the correct way to elasticate wide women's shorts, ensuring the best distribution of the pleats of the fabric.

 
Size: 36
Fabric: cotton French Terry
Time to make:  two days
 

Pictures taken during our hike to Alinsky monastery this Saturday, when we enjoyed a gloriously warm weather for this time of the year. 
I hope Alex will pose for a few pictures of his shorts too, but who knows if and when :)


No comments:

Post a Comment