Saturday, August 14, 2021

Roliz Dress by Vikisews

A crazy and very emotional photosession husband and I took today on our way back from Riska Skakavitza Waterfalls. Last week I finished my first dress from Vikisews - a popular Russian pattern company, and I wanted to photograph it somewhere special and beautiful. I absolutely love the mountain road from Sofia to Sapareva Banya, that meanders between Vitosha and Verila on one side and Plana on the other, with a mesmerizing glimpse to the high wall of Rila in the distance. Knowing that we'll pass along it today, I packed the dress, a pair of fancy sandals, a hairbrush and my sunglasses, just in case. So - the dress is a bit wrinkled here and there; my hair, after four hours of climbing and descending, is everywhere; no jewelry and accessories, no make-up, but we had so much fun and the freshly mowed field we found was such a perfect background, that I consider it one of my best photosessions this year :)

Vikisews is, from what I've listened and read, popular and kind of high-end Russian pattern company, which sells their patterns with very step-by step instructions and a general detailed instruction for pattern adjustment to individual measurements. Each copy of a pattern you buy from them is only in one height segment and one size - which is both good and bad. I love the fact that they have 154-160 cm height segment and I don't have to adjust the pattern pieces to my height, as with most other companies. The prices are very very reasonable, especially compared to US or other indi designers. The instructions are in Russian, though they have a collection of patterns in English, but the prices there are much higher. The instructions are very professional, with a thought to the smallest detail, I was extremely impressed. 

I got hooked on buying and sewing a dress from Vikisews by several Russsin vloggers I follow. The summer dresses are very feminine and somewhat minimalistic in volume, with intricate details. I had my eyes on three dresses and in the end bought Roliz, but I think I want Alexia and Nola too. Not that I have so many places to go and events to dress up for, but I absolutely adored the slow process of sewing the dress.

The fabric is viscose crepe, with good texture and structure and fun print in colors that I find flattering. I had 1.5 m, which was more than enough and allowed me some pattern placement - I was adamant that I wanted the two big orange flowers on my fabric piece in full display, as without the orange bits the fabric lost most of its interest.

I had this fabric for at least three years (with two different size matching hidden zippers and a thread bobbin, bought just in case). In the end I needed buttons, instead of zippers, so I still had to rummage in the local haberdasher's for matching buttons -  the irony :)

Size: 36 
Height: 154 - 160 cm
Fabric: viscose crepe
Time to make: 6 days

My only modifications to the pattern: I added 2 cm to the length of the dress, I shortened the straps by about 1 cm and I narrowed the back by about 1.5 cm after the first try; otherwise I made the dress as designed and as per instructions, even my buttons are at the exact places as provided by the designer.

I already bought a new Vikisews pattern - simple elasticated knit trousers. I have at least half a dozen of similar patterns from Burda, but the fans of the company sing so many dithyrambs for these pants, that I'm curious to try them and see for myself.





2 comments:

  1. A great print you've used. How adventurous to pack the dress and sandals for a semi-impromptu photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love taking photos of my makes in the wild :)

      Delete