Sunday, August 29, 2021

Knip Mode Cargo Pants

A pair of hiking pants I sewed for my husband. I finished them last month, but because of the heat this summer it was only yesterday that he put them on for the first time.

The pattern is from Knip Mode 06 / 2020, a Dutch pattern magazine. I bought it as a pdf pattern with Russian instructions from Burda.ru site. Dutch patterns are a bit different from Burda patterns - they are designed for taller and more massive body types. The height for women's patterns is 172 cm, bust C cup and for men's patterns - 183 cm.

I have several Knip Mode patterns, bought from Burda.ru, but this is the first I have actually printed and sewn. The overall fit impression - according to their sizing table, my husband is size 52, but the fit is actually quite loose on him. However, as he prefers ease in his clothes, if I make this pattern again, I would take in the pants at the waist and down the legs, but keep the ease at the hips.

The pattern envisages a cut under the knees, I suppose for plasticity? However, as they have used a short model for the pants in the magazine and the pants are obviously enormous on him on the photos, it is not quite clear where exactly should the cut fall, so I sewed it without adjustments to my husband's figure. However I do wonder if it should have been higher, immediately under the knees or as it is?

 
Size: 52 
Fabric: cotton twill, 95% cotton 5% elastane
Time to make: one week

My modifications: 

1) I added pockets at the back. The pattern has false pocket flaps at the back, but I added real pockets with flaps and buttons, as my husband keeps there his documents when hiking.

2) The pattern doesn't have a waistband. I initially sewed it as per pattern, but didn't like the fit and the look, so I cut the continuous waistband and added a proper waistband with belt loops. 

3) The pockets close with operational buttons and not with snaps

Overall I am satisfied with these cargo pants and I am curious to try my women's Knip mode patterns too, though my figure is more suited for Japanese and not for Dutch patterns, so I'm afraid I'll have to make a lot of adjustments to get the fit right.


1 comment:

  1. They came out great and I like how the pockets blend into the pants.
    Saturday I'm bringing my new gingham fabric up to my mama's so she can teach me how to print match so the gingham print runs continuously across the center back seam and the side seams.

    ReplyDelete