Thursday, October 22, 2020

Boatneck Shkatulka Tee

Last week there was a sale of Burda patterns for knits and I bought 7 new patterns, trying to select for unusual constructions or interesting details. And then, against all logic, I took out my true and tried Shkatulka fitted tee pattern and modified it again for my height, adding long sleeves and a boat neck. And this is definitely my most favourite self-made T-shirt so far!

For this iteration of the pattern I printed the Russian 42 (EU 36) size, added the boat neck I had constructed for Gaby's striped tee and elongated the sleeves, using the sleeve pattern from the Plantain Tee. The body and the sleeves are a bit long on me, but I have a funny attitude to sleeves - they either have to be 3/4 or extra long, I dislike sleeves, hitting me at the wrist (and I never wear watches or bracelets either, can't stand anything around the wrists).
To finish the boat neck, I used 3.5 cm wide bands of fabric, employing the method I devised for Gaby's tee - first I covered the back neckline, then I sewed the back to the front shoulders wrong sides facing, then I attached the long front band to the shoulders and the front neckline and finally I turned the band, covered the raw edges and sewed it down. I love the neat finish this produces!

Pattern: Shkatulka Fitted Tee, modified with boat neck and long sleeves
Size: Russian 42 (EU 36, S)
Fabric: cotton jersey
Thread: orange polyester
Time to make: 2 days

The fabric is the remainder of the gorgeous wine red knit jersey, which I initially cut for my Plantain tee. In all honesty, I prefer this fitted pattern with the boat neck to the Plantain, looking at the pictures of other Plantains, my fabric is too heavy and elastic for that cut.

I had planned to give this tee to Gaby, as having two tees out of the same fabric seemed redundant, but we'll see, I love it - the color, the cut, the fit, too much to give it away. I might act selfishly and keep it and make another one for Gaby out of a different fabric :)

2 comments:

  1. Your seams look awesome and I like this autumn color.

    ReplyDelete