Sunday, October 4, 2020

Plantain

Another free knit blouse pattern I tried recently - Plantain by Deer and Doe. The pattern is fairly popular with many beautiful interpretations. Тhe cut is fitted around the shoulders, bust and arms area and flares at the waist and the high hip. The sleeves come 3/4 and full length, with optional patches at the elbows.

I cut my t-shirt out of a very soft and stretchy cotton jersey in an autumnal color I simply adore. I was getting a bit precious about this fabric, but with the arrival of the overlocker I felt I was ready to cut into it. Initially I was planning 3/4 sleeves and patches as in the cover photo of the pattern, but at the beginning of the week Sofia was hit by very cold weather, I had difficulty accommodating to the low temperatures and so I was not in the least in the mood for bare skin  - full length sleeves it was to be and the longer the better :) Similarly, my neckline is not so low in an attempt to provide bigger coverage while keeping the visuals of a scoop neckline.

I cut the size 34 and although my measurements correspond to this size, especially in the bust area, I'm not completely happy with the fit - there are diagonal lines from the apex to the sides, which make me think that I need more space in the bust area. Next time I make this pattern, and I am absolutely making it with the patches and probably some color blocking, as I've seen it done, I'll try the size 36, or a gradient from 34 at the shoulders to 36 at the bust back to 34 downwards.

Pattern: Plantain by Deer & Doe
Size: 34, shortened by 2 cm
Fabric: 100& cotton jersey
Thread: polyester, orange and burgundy
Time to make: 5 days

Despite the minor issues with the fit, I absolutely love this top and felt super comfortable in it during our weekend getaway for my birthday. Nothing beats soft stretchy cotton jersey in a favourite color!

No comments:

Post a Comment