Thursday, October 29, 2020

Cowl Neck Burda Sweater

This is the second of the Burda patterns for knitted fabric I acquired during the sale - a cowl neck sweater pattern 103, published in BurdaStyle Magazine 10 / 2014. The pattern calls for drapy lightweight knit fabrics and features an interestingly constructed cowl neck and extralong sleeves.

I printed the size 34, as I intended this sweater for Gaby, and the first thing I did was to measure and cut the extra 10 cm of the length of the sleeves - maybe such sleeves were in fashion in 2014, but I thought them ridiculous.

To sum up, though I am very proud of my workmanship on the blouse and the way I managed to comprehend the sketchy instructions in Russian on the construction of the cowl, the sweater was about to be declared a disaster. Firstly, it turned out that Gaby didn't like cowl necks. Yes, I should had consulted with her, but as a maker I prefer to sew things that are interesting to me and this pattern seemed interesting ;) Secondly, my lightly brushed sweater knit fabric - super soft and extra stretchy, turned too heavy for the cowl neck and it just sits there without draping. And thirdly, if Gaby didn't want the blouse, it meant that either I had to wear it or redo it somehow and I never ever wear white. I have always considered it an awful color on me. I have warm olive skin complexion and white, even off white as in this blouse, always seemed my enemy. Not that I don't like it as a color - I love it on other people and envy them for being able to wear it, just I don't like myself in white. Until I saw these pictures.

I like the blouse, I like the fit, I love the softness of the fabric and I think it actually suits me. So I'm keeping it :) I'm planning a second version of the pattern in a teal color and a very fluid knit jersey, to test this cowl neck with a more suitable fabric.

Size: 34, shortened  sleeves by 10 cm, body by 3 cm
Fabric: lightly brushed sweater knit, 1.2 m
Thread: white polyester
Time to make: 2 days
 



2 comments:

  1. A long-sleeve is such a good staple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really needed a few good long-sleeve tees in my wardrobe.

      Delete