Sunday, October 11, 2020

Raglan Sweater

At the beginning of the month I bought 2 m of cotton knit fabric to make a pair of sweatpants and  a sweater. However, the fabric turned thinner than I thought, more suitable for tops than for bottoms. Nevertheless, I did sew the pants for Alex and he loves them and wears them as lounge pants. I plan to take a few flat pictures of them soon and tell you about the pattern, as he absolutely refuses to act as a model for my blog.

This sweater is the second garment I made out of the remaining fabric - a raglan sweater for my husband. I bought the pattern from the Russian site Shkatulka, size 52. I've sewn quite a few patterns from Shkatulka and this is the first that I'm definitely not happy with - I find the sleeves rather wide for the body and I do not like the amount of fabric under the arms.

Thankfully, the fabric itself is nice and soft and husband, bless his tender soul, not only likes his new sweater, but obligingly acts as my model in it. He was happy to put it on for today's hike.  


 

The modifications I made to the pattern: as it is designed for shorter men, I elongated the body by 6 cm and the sleeves by 3 cm and I added about 1 cm width to the front and back pieces, that is a total of 4 cm added to the width of the body. I did this, as the size 52 seemed a bit snug on my husband, but the next size had even wider sleeves and I wanted to have the slimmer sleeves. I have zero experience with raglan patterns and I didn't dare narrow the sleeves for fear of distorting the raglan lines.

To add a little color to the boring grey, I made the neckline out of blue knit fabric and added blue sleeve cuffs. I also added blue stitching to the raglan lines and the hem, though it is barely visible.


 
Size: 52,a bit modified
Fabric: cotton knit
Thread: grey and navy blue polyester
Time to make: 2 days

 



No comments:

Post a Comment