Friday, August 28, 2020

Burda 6231 and Burda 106 06/2020 Mash Up

My second make from the big piece of red viscose fabric - a mash up of two Burda patterns.

Initially, the blouse started as a simple bias cut top, following Burda 6231 pattern. I cut the two pieces, connected the shoulders with french seams, finished the armholes with bias tape, finished the sides with french seams and made the narrow hem. And then I tried it at was rather disappointed with the simple look it had.

I was also a bit perplexed by the wide opening at the back. I'm not quite sure if there is a mistake in the pattern, but the illustration shows a top with a front, cut lower than the back, while the pattern pieces produce a top with a very low cut back. It reminded me of another Burda pattern I bought this spring - Burda 106 from 06 / 2020. And on a whim I decided to cut a rectangle the width of the fabric, gather it and try to place it around the neckline in the manner of the latter pattern.

I immediately liked the way the gathered piece added some elegance and interest to the simple top and turned it into a statement blouse. I'm still hesitant whether to add the pair of straps, which tie at the back, as in Burda #106 06/2020, or leave it as it is. If I do add them, it will be for practicality, so I'll be testing the blouse first to see if I need the ties to stop the shoulders from falling down the arm.

Pattern: Burda 6231 with ideas from Burda 106 06/2020
Size: 36 with modifications for short height
Fabric: 100% viscose poplin
Thread: cotton, red
Time to make: 2 days

1 comment: