Monday, August 17, 2020

Cropped Blouse and Paperbag Shorts

My latest makes for Gaby - a cropped blouse with ties at the fronts and paperbag shorts.

For months I've been planning a blouse for her with ties at the front. I considered a Burda pattern from a magazine I own, but it was long sleeved and a bit too open at the front. Then I downloaded a similar free french pattern, but Gaby didn't like the back of the blouse. So last week I browsed the site for sleeveless shirts and came upon Burda 6924 - it is cropped, with ties at the front and tailored at the back - just what I was looking for. I bought it and immediately printed it, cut and glued the pattern pieces and added my usual height corrections - removed 1 cm above the armscye and 1 cm above the waist, as regular Burda patterns are drafted for height 168 cm and Gaby is 163 cm.

My fabric is very light weight, gauze-like cotton, which was barely sufficient for the blouse, as it was single width (90 cm) - something I had somehow missed to notice in the fabric shop.

I followed the scanty instructions of the Burda pattern, my only modifications, beside the height adjustment, were my seams, which are french, and I covered the seam at the back between the neck and the collar with a bias tape, so I have no exposed fabric ends. And I reduced the buttons to four - five seemed a bit redundant for such a small cropped blouse with a lapel :)

Pattern: Burda 6924
Size: 34, shortened by 2 cm
Fabric: Cotton Gauze, 1 m
Thread: Polyester, cream
Time to make: 2 days


My second make are the shorts. I browsed for paperbag shorts and liked a lot of RTW items. The main features i wanted to recreate were the pockets, the paperbag waist, the turned cuffs and the large belt holders and the belt. For the basis of the pattern I used a true and tried Burda pattern - #117 of issue 05 / 2013.


I modified heavily the original long pants design - shortened them to 20 cm below the crotch, removed the upper elongations of the parts and added a separate belt, into half of which I added an elastic. I also made 5 long belt holders and a 6 cm wide 170 cm long belt, which Gaby skipped yesterday, as the tie of the shirt didn't combine well with the tie of the shorts belt.

Pattern: Burda # 117 05 / 2013, heavily modified
Size: 34
Fabric: cotton/linen blend, remnant from my husband's shirt
Thread: Polyester, cream color
Time to make:  1 day


A view of the shorts with the belt, tied in a butterfly: