Monday, December 14, 2020

Tumba Hat

Last year I found that I could make hats, combining the remnants of yarn from the Italian bobbin yarn I use lately. As this is yarn, that is produced for machine knitting, it usually comes in very thin threads - I've bought 1500 m / 100 g and even 3000 m / 100 g. The advantage of such remnants is that a small ball of 30 g of fine merino is about 400 m long - and that is a lot of length! Thus combining a few good for nothing balls of various yarns produces a melange of suitable thickness and length, sufficient for a hat.


My latest hat is a man's hat with double hem of 1x1 rib and semi-fisherman rib crown, made out of 27 g of Harmony Lana Gatto, a remnant from my green Koto sweater and 33 g of Filpucci Ascot, a remnant from my blue Starry Night sweater. I overdyed both yarns in green and held the fine Lana Gatto merino double. To my utter amazement the two resulting yarns had almost the same length - the difference was less than 5 cm. What were the odds, less than winning the lottery!

Pattern: Tumba hat (personal pattern)
Yarn: Harmony 95067 Lana Gatto, 100% merino, 1500 m / 100 g, 27 g,
Filpucci Ascot, 550 m / 100 g, 33 g 
Needle: 3.75 mm (hem), 4 mm (crown)
Time to knit: 4 days


Although my handsome husband is modeling the hat just for a few photos, it is intended as a Christmas present for another member of the family. I hope the recipient will like it, the combination yarn is 85% fine merino, 7.5% angora and 7.5% Cashmere goat - super soft and pleasant to touch and wear.


1 comment:

  1. This is a great beanie and love your husband's jacket - it's so cool!

    ReplyDelete