Monday, May 1, 2023

Blouse with Drop Cut Outs

I made myself a new blouse for the coming spring and summer. I hadn't planned on buying new summer fabrics, but I couldn't resist this viscose knit with small openings in a grey-green color, that I like a lot.

The pattern is Burda 117 from the January Issue of 2021. I believe I bought it with the idea to make the version with the long bell sleeves, but grew cold to it. However, this year beside sticking to true and tried old favourites, I feel I want to try most of the unused patterns I've bought. The problem with new patterns is, that you are never sure with the fit, until you make a muslin (which I almost never do) or cut into the actual fabric. In the case of T-shirts it made no sense to make a muslin, so I just cut the smallest size 36, measured the width of the pieces and went ahead and made the blouse.

The original blouse is very, very simple, so I decided to embellish it with some drop-shaped cut outs at the neckline. I like how these turned out a lot and I am definitely going to repeat them in another blouse this summer, if I find a suitable fabric for Gaby.

Size: 36, with corrections
Fabric: polyviscose knit
Time to make: one week

Once I basted the side seams, I found out, that the simple straight line of the bottom of the T-shirt was too plain for my taste, so I curved it as much as the length of the cut pieces allowed and finished the side seams with some openings.

Next time I make this pattern, I will cut it out longer, with a more pronounced curve at the front and the back. I am not very happy with the fit, I find that Burda's size 36 often is too big on me, so next time I'll be taking at least 1 cm from the width of the front and back pattern pieces and the back neckline would also benefit from a little lowering.

I have still plenty of this fabric, so I might consider making myself a long-sleeve or a 3/4 sleeved Rhapsody. I really love the color and the texture of the fabric!




No comments:

Post a Comment