Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Smocked Top and Shorts

Two fairly quick summer makes for Gaby - a smocked top and a pair of shorts, made out of fabric remnants.

For the smocked top I used a piece of fabric, which was left after I made this short sleeved shirt last summer. I cut a rectangular piece, 1.5 times Gaby's bust circumference, 36 cm length and narrow hemmed the top and the bottom of the piece. Then I did the shirring with white elastic thread at approx. 1.2 mm distance, leaving a hem of 2.5 cm above and 5 cm below the smocked part.

My inspiration for the top was this Gut & Circle Smocked top I found while googling shirred tops. I didn't have enough fabric for wider straps, so mine are narrower. Gaby already wore it once and liked it, though she finds the ties on the shoulders a bit girlish, so I might redo the straps into simple straight straps.
The second make - a one evening pair of shorts, uses the polyester knit remnants from my blue Think Pink Cosy cardigan. The pattern is one I've used before - pants #117 from Burdastyle 05 / 2013. I find the pattern quite well drafted for pants with elasticated waist - the fit is flattering, the pockets are very deep and comfy. Obviously, I shortened the legs, omitted the belt and instead added 2.5 cm wide elastic band.

To finish the legs, I added cuffs, but next time I might just hem the legs, I find no significant difference in the look and hemming is so much easier.

The look from the back - I sewed a small label on the back of the top to mark the back, as otherwise it is almost impossible to distinguish it from the front and it does matter because of the placement of the straps. I still haven't decided where to order my own labels, and I need to, soon :(

No comments:

Post a Comment