Friday, October 26, 2018

Blue Burda 6849 Shirt



I sewed I new shirt and I'm so proud with it! The pattern is Burda 6849 from their Autumn / Winter 2015-2016 catalogue. This is a classic fitted shirt from their young fashion collection. It is my first experience with a Burda individual pattern, until now I had only sewed from their magazines.


The advantages of an individual pattern are the much more detailed instructions, the easier copying of the pattern pieces and the multilanguage book, which included two of the languages I understand - English and Russian, instead of only German, as is in the magazine, which is sold here. Still, the instructions were not clear enough for an inexperienced seamstress as I am, but thank God for youtube tutorials! I learned so much about shirt construction!


The fabric I chose for my first try (there will be other shirts from this pattern, for sure) is plain plaid cotton, very easy to sew. Gaby has plenty of plaid shirts in the red range of colors, so she insisted on a different color scheme. I was not sure of my choice of fabric when I brought it from the shop, but now, that it has turned into a shirt I like it and I think it suits her.



I made some small modifications to the pattern - mostly shortened its length and added arrows to the sleeves, as Gaby likes to wear them rolled up and buttoned.


Most of the seams are flat seam - something new I learned with this shirt. And I also made my own buttonholes.


I love the fitted look of this pattern and I do plan to sew many more shirts from it.

1 comment:

  1. What a great shirt! The plaid is of happy colors and I like the blues. And kudos to you on helping with the prep and modifications of ballet costumes. Oh boy, I'm imagining a lot of hand-sewing, something I'm not personally fond of.

    ReplyDelete