Friday, October 24, 2014

Toe-up Socks


I had a skein of brick 50 g Alize Superwash I intended to test, so I knit a pair of socks. This is only my second pair of socks and this time I wanted to try the toe-up method and to use up all of my yarn.


Pattern: Cabley Goodness Top-Down-Toe-Up Socksby Erin Case 
Yarn: Alize Superwash 50 g, color 433
Needle: 3 mm, 2.5 mm rib
Time to knit: 5 days


For these socks I used the magic loop method instead of DPNs and it worked fine, mostly due to the purl stitch, where I could hide the unevenness of my transitions from one needle to the other :)
The pattern is very well written and easy for a beginner like me, my only concern with these socks is that the heel is not reinforced and might easily tear.


Notes: My gauge was 25 sts x 35 rows, so I reduced the stitches by 0.78 ratio.
Cast on 8 sts and increased to 56 sts, knit in pattern for 45 rows, heel flap for 15 rows,
heel turn - knit 16, SSK, K1, turn,
slip, purl 5, p2tog, p1, turn and so on until all stitches have been worked.
Ended with 16 sts. Picked up 9 stitches each side of the heel flap for the gusset.
Decreased to 56 sts and continued knitting until I knit up the entire skein.
Rib 1x1 on 2.5 mm needle, invisible bind-off using this tutorial:
http://crankygrrrrrl.wordpress.com/2007/01/15/k1p1-invisi...



2 comments:

  1. Носочки,красивого осеннего цвета!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this orange burnt color. I bought a cardigan similar to it. These look like cozy socks. You can knit slip stitch heels for toe up. I'm sure you can find a tutorial online.

    ReplyDelete