Saturday, July 13, 2024

Burda Cargo Pants

I finally finished husband's new cargo pants, which I had been planning since last year - and I am not happy at all. This is only my third Make Nine in 2024, it seems I won't be making all the patterns I chose at the beginning of the year, again.

The pattern is #129 from an old Burda magazine - 04 / 2010. A curious detail - I bought the pattern a long while ago from the Burda.ru site together with the women's jeans pattern from the same issue and this year I made both of these patterns. BTW, the whole issue seems to be full of great patterns and if I come upon it at a reasonable price, I might consider buying it.

The main issues I have with the new pants are the pockets and the size - both remediable and not issues of the pattern itself but my execution. Although I took my husband's measures carefully, the pants came out really big. I think the reason is that I cut the pieces with very big seam allowances and I probably chose the wrong size from the start. I plan to make him a shorter city version and I'll try the smaller size - if it doesn't fit well, then I'll know the problem is not only in me.

On his first hike with his new pants husband wore them with a belt, as he usually does anyway and he said that the bigger size wasn't such a big problem for him, but a fitting size would still be preferable, obviously.

The other problem are the pockets - they seemed so big, but turned out too shallow for cargo pants, so a new iteration of the pattern would require rethinking of the pocket size, especially the front pockets and the side pockets.

 
Pattern: Burda 129 04 / 2010
Size: 50, lengthened
Fabric: cotton, very densely weaved
Time to make: in the course of a month in between other projects


No comments:

Post a Comment