Thursday, March 11, 2021

Orange Hat

After some glorious spring weather, winter reminded us that it is not entirely gone and we are back to subzero temperatures and snow. Just the weather to show off my husband's new knitted hat. 

Orange is one of his favourite colors, but he wanted the hat to be a melange of orange, red and brown, so I overdyed some orange yarn I had left from an old knitting project. I'm really happy with the result and I think it came out much better than if it was just plain orange.

I didn't use any pattern, pure improvisation. I cast on 136 sts and knit 1x1 rib in the round for a long fold over brim, then switched to semi-brioche and continued until I reached the crown. Then I divided the stitches into 4 sections and gradually decreased until 20 stitches were left. I love the slouchy look of the hat and I think it suits my husband.

 
Project: Orange Hat (personal pattern)
Yarn: Zegna Baruffa Cashwool 80 g
Needle: 4 mm
Time to knit: two weeks

Husband wore the hat today for the first time and though he approved of its size in the course of knitting, he found it a bit loose while wearing it, so if I were to knit it again, I should consider making it a bit tighter. As the yarn is 100% merino, I'm wondering if putting it in the dryer for a little while might not help to make it just a bit smaller. I might risk it, if in the course of wear he finds its width uncomfortable.




2 comments: