Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Refashioned Maternity Dress

A refashioning project that is almost sixteen years late :)


I sewed this maternity dress when I was pregnant with Gaby and wore it a lot during my last trimester - she was an August baby. Alex was a winter/spring baby, but I occasionally put it on at home as a pinafore over pullovers, when I was pregnant the second time.

Back then I must have been into high necklines and shallow armscyes, but now I prefer more room, so instead of just taking in the width, I unstitched the whole dress and cut out a new simple dress with identical front and back and wider neckline and armholes.

It's probably the simplest dress there is, but it's for home usage. Still, as I work from home and our summers are quite hot, it's important for me to have comfortable home clothes.

From the cuttings from the sides I made two bands to tie in the back and give the dress some shape.

Ta-da, a new dress :) I have no idea what this fabric is, probably synthetic crepe silk, but it's nice to the touch and does not crease - ideal for a domestic summer dress.

1 comment:

  1. I made $20 for a 20 minute survey!

    Guess what? This is exactly what major companies are paying me for. They need to know what their average customer needs and wants. So large companies pay $1,000,000's of dollars per month to the average person. In return, the average person, like myself, fills out surveys and gives them their opinion.

    ReplyDelete