Sunday, August 31, 2014

Plum Pie - Three Takes


Yes, I'm afraid the family has been living on plum pies these days :)))
First the recipe, to get it out of the way. I believe by now I know it by heart :)
Origin - Labrex


Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 180 g milk
  • 50 g oil
  • 200 g flour
  • 200 g sugar
  • 5 g baking powder
  • vanilla
  • plums

Beat the eggs with the sugar, add the oil and the milk. Sift the flour with the baking powder and add to the batter. Spice with vanilla. Pour the batter in a baking dish, arrange the halved plums on top and bake in a preheated oven at 180C until the tooth pick test indicates that it is ready. Preparation time - less than 15 minutes.


And now the story. I read the recipe and decided to try it, as I love plums. I bough half a kg of round plums of a variety that are usually very juicy and sweet. However, mine turned out extremely sour, like wild plums. I baked the pie in my smaller baking dish, that I usually use for pies (24 cm). The pie had a very delicious crisp crust and was super juicy, but the center was a bit sodden and the plums were too sour. I liked it, especially the crust, but it obviously needed improvement.


So, I decided to try it again with a different variety of plums and my bigger baking dish. I bought only a handful of plums as they looked very small and unripe and there weren't any other plums in the supermarket. However obviously appearances are misleading as they turned out to be very sweet. I also added more flour - 240 g. The second pie was perfectly baked, tasted like sponge-cake but the plums were insufficient and it didn't have the crisp crust of the first pie.




Wild flowers bouquet picked from the small stadium we've been jogging lately (have to burn all these pies :))))



Yesterday I made a third attempt - I added only 200 g flour as in the first pie and as many plums as I could stick in and baked it again in the big dish. I also filled the plums with vanilla sugar and the house smelled divinely while baking. This pie has the same sponge-cake structure as the second pie, again without the crisp crust, but is more juicy because of the more plums. Hubby likes it so much that I had to struggle with him to take a few pictures of the baked pie :)))



OK, I think I'm done with plums, maybe I'll try figs or pears next time.


Update: I tried the same recipe today with fruit salad - a peach, a pear and a handful of plums, cut into pieces and spiced with vanilla sugar.




Divine, probably the best so far! However, the pear does stand out as the most sweet and delicious of all, so undoubtedly a pear pie would be a smashing success.

1 comment:

  1. These pies are so pretty! You are such an expert. I've never had plum pie before.

    ReplyDelete