Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Zoo Top


A new simple top I made for Gaby. The pattern is Kirsten Kimono Tee by Maria Denmark and it is a free pdf pattern of a very simple sleeveless boat neck tee for knits with negative ease at the bust and loose at the hips. I was looking for a plain pattern for a top, preferably without darts or other cuts into the fabric, but still with a flattering feminine shape and this tee pattern fit the bill exactly. And when I saw  Alisa Shay's video and her tops from wovens, made with this pattern, I knew what to do with my precious piece of very light and fun viscose. I came upon it as a fabric remnant at my favourite fabric shop, only 60 cm and I knew it would make a perfect fun summer top.

Because the pattern is made for knits, I had to cut a bigger size to make it from woven fabric. Gaby is an XS, so I measured a woven top that fits her well and decided to cut size S, graded to size L at the hips. Thus it fits her with little ease at the bust and the waist and gives her flattering ease at the hips.


I made the seams french seams, as usual, the hems are narrow hems and the neck is finished with a bias tape from the same fabric. I cut the boat neck wide enough to fit though her head, so I didn't need any additional openings at the back. If I make this pattern again, I might try a more narrow neckline with a keyhole opening at the back, just for fun.


I am very, very happy with this simple top and I am quite tempted to make one for myself, just looking for the right fabric. As the pattern has little shaping, I think it is best made with viscose or other drapy materials, otherwise it would sit a bit boxy.



Before and after - Gaby had a haircut yesterday, just before we took these pictures. Her long hair was gorgeous, but she was getting tired of it, especially in the hot.


1 comment:

  1. Love how you're all in a sewing mode. I've been lazy and haven't wanted to set up everything here on my dining room table.

    ReplyDelete