Friday, May 22, 2020

Golden Lichen Socks

I just finished a new pair of socks and these are my new most favourite! Still enthused by the dye job I did for my mother's socks, I decided to mix the greens, oranges, yellows and browns into a new pair of socks for myself.


My inspiration were the golden lichen on the oak trees we noticed during our hike to Pchelina lake at the beginning of the month.

For these socks I used the direct painting method - it is the most slow of all, but provides the best control over the painting process. I spread the skein of yarn, soaked in water with citric acid, on a sheet of stretch foil and gradually painted it all in various hues of earth colors.

Then I wrapped the foil and fixed the dye in the microwave oven.

I'm absolutely loving the result - so warm and balanced, these are definitely my colors!



I divided the skein in two and knitted the socks, following my usual recipe - toe up, Judy's magic cast on, 58 sts, stockinette stitch, fish lips kiss heel, 1x1 rib, Lori's twisty bind off.


Pattern: Golden Lichen (personal pattern), 58 stitches
Yarn: Alize Superwash 52 g, hand dyed
Needle: 2.5 mm
Time to knit: 10 days


Although these are almost the same colors as in these socks, the different method of distribution of the colors results in a distinctly more balanced and pleasing texture, without color pooling.


1 comment: