Thursday, September 10, 2026

Thassos Greece 2026

This year we decided to spend our summer vacation on Thassos. We've been to Greece many times, included on an island, but we had not been on Thassos yet. I had read and heard a lot about this small Greek island, close enough to Bulgaria, so that driving there in half a day is quite doable.

On the ferry. I couldn't take my gaze away from the flocks of sea gulls, that accompanied our ship all the way from Keramoti to Thassos, in expectation of treats, thrown by the passengers.

We enjoyed amazing weather and calm sea all the time we were on the island. Our accommodation was in Skala Мarion, only a few meters from one of the local beaches and I spent our first day on the nearest beach, reading my book, basking in the sun and swimming.

A night stroll along the main pedestrian area
I had just read in my book about these grape vines, grown in big amphora like pots and we saw one in front of the local honey shop.
Welcoming the sunrise. This summer I've been in the habit of waking up at sunrise and I was pleasantly surprised, that I could watch the sunrise from our balcony.

Then I would make myself a cup of coffee, fill it in my thermal cup and go for a walk along the beach. I love waking up early and enjoying the start of the day, while most of the folk is still sleeping - I adore the quiet and solitude.

Our accommodation happened to be right next to the most famous bakery in Skala Marion and the vicinity, so after my walk I would pass through, buy breakfast and return home to do my Duolingo lessons with my second cup of coffee and some delicious local pastry - crema bugatza and petit fours.
Trypiti Beach
Fari Beach


I love these exotic small beaches, full of sea life and surrounded by ragged rocks and green Greek pine trees.




Atspas Beach at Skala Marion by sunset

Pefkaria beach
I liked this one a lot, it was obviously of volcanic origin, with volcanic ash and frozen lava visible on the shore.

Snorkeling has been a game-changer for our summer vacations in Greece. I couldn't get enough, watching the hundreds of fishes, swimming by, totally undisturbed by our presence.

Reading my Greek book - Honey, Olives, Octopus: Adventures at the Greek Table by Christopher Bakken. It was such a serendipity, that I came upon a recommendation for that book shortly before starting for Greece and that I was able to buy it before we departed. With my fascination with everything Greek and food, reading and vicariously living Christopher's adventures in Greece, many of them on Thassos, while experiencing Thassos myself, definitely enhanced my own impressions and perceptions.

On Stone beach: 

In Limenaria, a small town not far from Skala Marion. I was passionate to find the Thassos thrumbas - famous local olives and I bough a kilogram to take with us to Sofia.


Maries beach. There was a wedding ceremony on the beach, while we were having dinner at a local restaurant, watching the sunset over the sea.

Of course, I know it's cheesy, but we couldn't resist it :) Our son took our photo in front of the remnants of the celebratory arc, after we finished dinner at the restaurant :)


No comments:

Post a Comment