Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Burda Polar Fleece Jacket

Recently I've been more in a home-improvement and gardening mode and I kind of lost my sewing, not to mention my knitting, mojo. Still, I made one of my Make Nine projects - the Burda 6337 jacket.

This pattern had been long on my list and in my head I always saw it made out of polar fleece, something similar to a tourist RTW jacket I have and still wear a lot.

My original idea was to make the pattern for Gaby in a polar fleece fabric i recently bought for her. But in order to test the pattern, I decided to make an wearable muslin first, out of a huge fleece sweater of my husband, which he doesn't like and wear.

I'm happy I decided to test the pattern first, as it gave me a good feel for the fit and the look of the final garment and in the end made me realize that, though I enjoy my jacket, I will not use the pattern for Gaby's jacket, as this is not exactly the look I am after.

 
Pattern: Burda 6337
Size: 36, shortened
Fabric: polar fleece, used
Time to make: one week

Some notes and modifications: The sizing is a bit off, the jacket is too big on me and though I'm a 36 according to Burda tables, size 34 would have been a better fit. Because I was using an old sweater, I could not make the original sleeves of the jacket and had to improvise with the material I had - thus my sleeves have a seam along the center and are based on another Burda jacket. 

  

One of the features of the jacket I do not particularly like is the collar - just not my style, I think. I would prefer a hood or a higher cowl. And a minor last note - the inside part of the pocket would be better made out of the main fabric. I made both parts of the pockets out of the lining fabric, but the pockets are too thin and cold for keeping my hands in during hikes, so a warmer fleece pocket would be more desirable.

I already wore the jacket during our hike to Dupevitza and it proved really warm and comfortable, so I am actually quite happy to have used the fleece material from the discarded husband's sweater. Still, I'm in search for the best fleece jacket pattern for the planned Gaby's jacket.



No comments:

Post a Comment