Monday, March 23, 2020

Face Masks


It seems the coronavirus crisis is going nowhere anytime soon, Sofia is under lock down, there are no masks in the pharmacies, so yesterday I sewed a bunch of reusable cotton face masks. The pattern and the instructions are here, but there are many other patterns and models out there.


My fabric is 100% cotton ranforce (densely woven cotton fabric) and one of the masks is made of 100% cotton shirting. The masks have two layers of cotton fabric, elastic, which pulls the mask behind the head (much more comfortable than behind the ears) and nose wires to fix the mask closely to the face. The removable and disposable inner filters are dried wet hankies. I went to the supermarket today and tested mine, it works as fine as could be expected, I suppose. After usage I threw away the filter, washed the mask thoroughly and I will iron it after it's dry.


The weather has been actually good to us - winter is back with a vengeance and staying at home is not so bad, when it's cold and snowy outside :)


And I made some comfort food too - it's so sweet and chocolaty, that if not from coronavirus, we risk dying from chocolate (hope not!).

I improvised the recipe and it came out quite good:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar 
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder

For the frosting:
  • 1 tbsp soft butter
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tbsp milk

Mix the batter, pour into the cupcake forms and bake in a preheated oven at 180C. Leave to cool. Mix the frosting and distribute on top. Enjoy and stay safe!


1 comment:

  1. Yay for baking! I made chocolate chip brownies yesterday.

    ReplyDelete