Monday, October 21, 2019

Autumn Socks


It is getting cold and I feel like knitting socks again. This latest pair was made out of remnant yarn - I had 40 g of white superwash sock yarn and about 7 g of brown sock yarn, which I distributed for the heels of the socks. No pattern - just vanilla toe-up socks with FLKH.


Pattern: Vanilla toe-up socks, 60 sts
Yarn: Alize Superwash 47 g
Needle: 2.5 mm
Time to knit: 5 days






The dyeing of the white yarn was a random experiment - I put the cake of yarn in a bowl of warm water with citric acid and placed four egg dye tablets of unknown color, which were left from last Easter. As I really didn't know the color of the tablets and could only guess the yellow, the rest looked almost the same, it was pure luck that they turned out to be of the same color family and the end result is quite harmonious (though I'm still at a loss how did the brown happen, I'm sure there were no brown egg dyes, probably a combination of purple and green?)


And two more sock yarn skeins I dyed for my mother to knit them into socks. For both skeins I used low immersion, three color distribution and baking in the microwave oven. To make the socks identical, this time I wound the skein double-threaded and after the yarn was dyed, washed and dried, the skein was separated back into single thread cakes.


The double cake of the blue socks before separation and the two identical cakes of the purple socks after the separation.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I like it a lot, though the pooling isn't as I would have preferred it, but what can you do :)

      Delete