Monday, August 3, 2015

Crème Brûlée and Other Desserts


I was in the mood for cooking desserts yesterday - I made three :) My very first Crème Brûlée - I read a few recipes and in the end kept close to the one in My Cooking Book Blog:
Ingredients:
  • 5 yolks
  • 375 g cream
  • 125 g milk
  • 85 g sugar 
  • 2 vanilla extracts


I brought the cream and milk to boil together with the vanilla extracts. In a separate bowl I stirred the yolks with the sugar and slowly added the hot, but not boiling cream to the yolks, stirring all the time. Then I sifted the egg-cream mixture for better texture and poured it into four small bowls. I placed the bowls in a cooking tin, added 1l of boiling water to the tin and placed the cream to cook in the preheated oven at 160C for 45 min.

I don't have a cooking burner, so I mixed two spoons of white and brown sugar, spread it on top of the cream and then burned the sugar, placing the bowls under the grill of my oven.

The cream was divine, the texture extremely smooth, only the burned sugar was not perfect, I'll have to practice on that.

And as we were having pizza with mushrooms and pineapples for lunch, I decided to use the rest of the pineapple to make a pineapple cake. I've made this cake many times with various fruit and it is always a success:
Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 200 g sugar
  • 180 g milk
  • 40 g oil
  • 220 g flour
  • 2 vanilla extracts
  • 10 g baking powder
  • 300 g pineapple (pear, apricot, peach, banana, plum) slices


Beat the eggs with the sugar, add the oil, milk, flour with baking powder and vanilla. Pour the batter in a baking tin, covered with baking paper. Distribute evenly the fruit slices. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C.




And because I had the white of the 5 eggs I used for the brûlée, in the evening I made meringues. They are so very simple to make and I didn't even squirt them, just used a spoon to drop them into rough rounds:
Ingredients:
  • 5 egg whites
  • 300 g powdered sugar (I only had 260 g, so I added 40 g of regular sugar)
  • 1 vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp of powdered instant coffee (optional - I didn't like the taste of coffee at first, but it grew on me)
Sweet summer life :))))

1 comment:

  1. Nice baking fun you've had. I like how you're so adventurous in trying new recipes.

    ReplyDelete