Tuesday, September 9, 2014

WIP - Black Maluka


The idea for my new cardigan came to me a couple of days ago. The previous day I had been browsing and browsing through my queues and favorites on Ravelry, trying to choose a pattern for a cotton cardigan. And - nothing. Not a single pattern tingled the urge to grab the needles and cast on. Then, on the following morning I remembered Carolyn's two stockinette stitch fitted cardigans - I love their quiet simplicity and elegance and they are so versatile. The black cardigan is a garment Gaby's been wanting for school and it needed to be exactly that - simple and versatile. So now I knew what I needed to knit was actually a stockinette stitch cardigan with some waist shaping and a beautiful border. And the first thing that came to mind was Maluka - a free shawl pattern I knitted last autumn. The design creates a border, from which one picks the stitches for the shawl - and in my case - for the body of the cardigan. Now I got my fingers itching to knit :)


This time I'm keeping very detailed notes on all of my calculations, so if the muse does not leave me, I might actually write down the pattern for the cardigan. It's knitting up very quickly - I've already reached the underarms and finished one front.
And here are only a few other ideas for borders:
Welcome to the Jungle - that's really beautiful
French Cancan - great lace border
Piper's Journey - that one might go well with a garter stitch cardigan
Chinook Scarf - a plainer border, sort of a simplified version of Maluka
Victory Wrap - this is easy and effective too


2 comments:

  1. You are very patient to knit with cotton. And my gosh in black. I bet it feels good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very patient to knit with cotton. And my gosh in black. I bet it feels good though.

    ReplyDelete