Saturday, June 8, 2019

Scoop Top Tunic


Lately I'm very much into yoga pants / leggings and tunics - that's my type of home wear, bed wear and hiking wear. I've got a reasonable amount of yoga pants and I'm not sure I'll be able to sew a descent pair of stretchy pants just on my straight machine, though I've bought a pattern and I'll give it a try. But I can make quite wearable tunics with a straight and zigzag stitch and a stretch needle. And this is the first of the lot, made out of the cheap knit fabric I bought for trials (in my defense it looked better as a roll in the shop :) The fabric is 100% cotton, not very stretchy and the stretch is only in the horizontal direction.


The pattern is a hybrid between Burda 2/2011 shirt #106 B and the Scoop Top. I took the upper part and the sleeves from the Burda T-shirt, but I flared the sleeves a bit and I lowered the neckline; and the underarms part is from the scoop top.


As I had enough fabric, I tried to match the horizontal stripes wherever I could. I added fusible to the shoulder seams for strength and false-flat seamed the shoulder and side seams.

At the front the neck lays pretty flat, but there is a bit of bulging on the back side of the neck - I think I should cut the neck band even shorter next time.

As I liked the length of the tunic exactly as I had cut it and didn't want it not an inch shorter, I decided not to fold the edges, but to process them with a very dense shallow zigzag, imitating an over-locked edge.

And just as I finished my long sleeved tunic, summer finally came with temperatures over 30C today. I have some more of this fabric left, so it is time for a new sleeveless tunic out of it :)

1 comment:

  1. I like the print of your top; it's design is something like a mixed media design.

    ReplyDelete