Sunday, February 2, 2020

Purple Shirt from Shkatulka


I started sewing this shirt way back in October last year. The pattern is from the Russian site Shkatulka and it is free for my size (Russian size 42, height 164 cm). For the shirt I bought a large piece of purple cotton viscose, which has very nice luster and drape and rich color, but turned out to be too thin, too much subject to wrinkling and with some defects.


I cut the fabric without making any height adjustments to the pattern, as it was stated to be for a smaller height (164 vs. the usual 168). I'm not quite certain what was my thinking at the time, but at 156 I'm still far from the stated height and two centimeters adjustment above the waist would have been beneficial for the fit.


Where I hit the rock were the sleeves - the pattern did not envision the usual cuts and cuffs, and though I've made already half a dozen shirt sleeves, I felt uncertain how to proceed. I abandoned the project, thinking it was only for a while, but the hiatus extended to January the next year, until I made Gaby's latest hooded shirt. It turned to be the make that kicked my behind to get a grip and finish the wretched thing.


And I'm glad I did. The fit is not perfect, the collar is not placed with the greatest attention to precision and the fabric is somewhat cheaply thin, but the overall garment is wearable and I adore the color, I've even already worn it a couple of times in public :)


1 comment: