Thursday, July 13, 2017

Butterfly Dress


My latest occupation - sewing dresses. My first attempt - a dress for me, is still unfinished and looking not very promising, but the second - the dress for Gaby, is sort of wearable :)


The fabric is thin printed cotton and the pattern - a modification of Burda 03 / 2013, dress 118. I needed a dress pattern with princess seams and this was the only one I found in my Burda issues. I used only the upper part of the design and I cut it to the armholes, adding spaghetti straps.


To make the dress easier to put on, I added 10 cm to the back piece and then sewed elastic thread to gather the back piece. Because the fabric is quite thin, I lined the bodice of the dress with the same thin cotton in off white color.


The lower part is simple gathered rectangular. The fit is not perfect because the neckline is a bit wide for Gaby, but it's a wearable muslin. Nevertheless she claims she loves it and finds it's breezy light texture very comfy in our hot summer days.
I plan to make another one in high quality viscose, but we'll see how long the sewing bug will hold me :)


Scenes from Ahtopol, on the Black Sea






6 comments:

  1. The butterfly material is lovely. What a great fit and length on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaby looks fabulous (as always)! What a great dress!

    The thing I love about sewing (though I have not pulled out the machine for an age) is the speed at which you can complete a garment! Not so much for me and knitting.

    Your Ahtopol photos are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sewing is really much faster, while knitting is more forgiving in case of errors - one can always unravel and start over :) For me it's fun to do both.

      Delete
  3. Such a perfect summer dress! Being obsessed with dresses, I had an idea of learning how to sew them; even bought a sewing machine, but it never worked out for me - I always prefer spending my free time on knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still prefer knitting too, probably because I'm adept at knitting, while sewing requires so much more effort and thought. It took me years after I bought my machine to find the desire to sew clothes, but the more I try the more interesting it becomes.

      Delete