Thursday, November 22, 2018

50 Shades of Pink


Last week I finally finished a sweater out of hand-dyed yarn I started back in April and I just had to fill with stitches those needles again. I had a bobbin of 300 g of white Pecci Filati Pacchero with a very interesting content - 16% alpaca superfine, 26% merino, 13% viscose, 30% acrylic, 15% nylon. I knew some of the fibers would dye perfectly with acid dyes, some not at all (like the 30% acrylic), but I still wanted to dye it and see what would happen. I wound the yarn into three 100 g skeins and went downtown in search of red dyes.

I applied a two step method for dyeing this yarn - first low immersion dyeing with the four shades of red acid dyes, sold domestically:
  • red, 
  • scarlet - a bit orangy red, 
  • pink - kind of diluted red, I'm not sure the chemical composition is different from the red dye
  • bordeaux - which seems to be red and blue and makes for purple nuances.
This is  one of the skeins, dripping wet, after the first stage of dyeing.


After all of the three skeins had been dyed in red, I made some resist knots on the skeins and dipped them in very diluted solutions of grey dye to get a richer palette of shades. The final yarn, dry and ready to knit, is a bit pale, as only about 50% of it took any dye, but I think it's lovely and will make a nice light sweater.

I've made a raw design already and last night I started sampling to get the gauge. The yarn is quite thin - 500 m / 100 g, so I think 3 mm needles for the rib and 3.25 mm for the body make a good texture. I might sample it further with 3.5 for the body, just in case :)

It's been rainy and cold lately


and I have TWO finished projects to photograph and show you. Let's hope it will be sunnier during the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I like that birdhouse, how it's clear so you can see what's goin' on. This sweater will be great for spring.

    ReplyDelete