Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Gibson Cardigan

 

I am finally able to show you a finished knitted garment - The Gibson Cardigan by Angela Hahn. Gibson is a free pattern, published by Knitty magazine, First Fall edition of 2018. The pattern calls for heavy weight cotton yarn, but lately I find that I prefer knitting with wool, even for summer. So I opted to knit it in an Italian bobbin tweed yarn I had around - Filpucci Tweedeco, 70% merino, 30% poly-amide, 450 m per 100 g.

Gibson is a top-down raglan cardigan with lace sleeves and a wide collar, which is knitted sideways. My first modification - as my yarn was thinner and my gauge smaller, I cast on the second size (S), aiming at achieving an XS and I had to recalculate the rows to add additional depth, as my rows gauge was also smaller.

 When I divided for the body and reached the high hip, I decided that I wanted the cardigan longer, so I continued knitting until the body under the arms measured 40 cm. However the long cardigan was rather narrow to cover my hips, even with the added collar. So I decided to add two lace triangles to the fronts. I chose a place above the bust to start the lace triangle and grafted it to the stockinette body as I went knitting it top-down.

 

I did not want ribbing which would pull in the end of the cardigan, so I finished the hems with broken rib and for consistency I decided to make the collar of the cardigan in the same style.

 

And finally - I decided to leave the cardigan open,  without buttons or other closure, as it is intended as a light cover during the summer nights or warmer spring and autumn days.

Although I had my doubts and hesitations, I am pretty happy with the end result - the cardigan is light, only 230 g, airy, yet very warm and comfy. The yarn is supersoft and pleasant to the skin.

 
 
Pattern: Gibson by Angela Hahn
Yarn: Filpucci Tweedeco, 230 g
Needle: 4 mm body, 3.5 mm hems and collar
Time to knit: 2 months




4 comments:

  1. Wow, the cardigan turned out absolutely perfect and matches so well with the dress. I'm convinced you'll wear this wonderful piece for a very long time. Love also the colour!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the perfect look for the summer days.
    The cardigan turned out so pretty in this combination.

    take a look at my BLOG and my INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love your Instagram, your photos are very creative!

      Delete