Thursday, September 5, 2024

Gloria Dress for Gaby

My second Gloria dress with Denis skirt, both patterns by the leading Russian pattern company Vikisews. Gaby was very enthusiastic for a feminine georgette dress for herself after I made mine a couple of months ago. I saw the fabric some time ago, sent her a picture, she liked it and it was decided - this was going to be my personal present for her birthday.

The fabric is sort of georgette, but thinner and more see-through than the fabric I used for my dress, so I had to make a lining for the skirt. I cut the lining out of sheer black chiffon and I think it worked perfectly for the fine main fabric of the dress. 

I made the dress with a few small modifications, based on previous experience: I raised the heart neckline by 2.5 cm to make it more covering, as the original is a bit low; I also narrowed the neckline by 2.5 cm both at the front and the back, as I found the original cut a bit loose. I also made most of the seams French seams because of the fine and transparent nature of my main fabric. I small note - Gaby is a bit more broad shouldered than me and I should add just a bit more volume at the sides - probably somewhere in the range of 1.5 - 2 cm total for more comfort, as the dress is a bit tight-fitting as it is. I also added 1 cm to the length of the body, as Gaby is taller than me and it was a needed correction - it fits her body well.

 
Pattern: Gloria dress and Deniz skirt by Vikisews
Size: 36
Height: 154 - 160 cm
Fabric: polyester georgette, black chiffon
Time to make: 3 days

I had very limited time to make the dress before we packed our bags for Greece and I am so, so happy that I managed, with all the challenges the thinner fabric posed. Actually, when I cut both fabrics, I was sure I had bitten more than I could chew - I don't think I had ever sewn such thin fabrics, but the result turned stunning and I am so happy I was able to present this dress to her on her birthday, which we celebrated at the sea-shore :)

Gloria dress and Denis skirt are presently my favourite patterns and I plan at least several more dresses, based on them. It could be a phase I'm going through, but I've been favouring my silk dresses this summer and I need more - I just love it, when I am wearing sophisticated feminine dresses. I've been putting on my Roliz and Gloria dresses by Vikisews on every occasion I could find and I believe Gaby was also impressed by her dress, as she wore it twice during the four days of our sea vacation :)

And might I just add, that she looked absolutely stunning in it :)

And as of today a newly-minted Master of Science from Vienna University!


No comments:

Post a Comment