Friday, August 16, 2024

Grey Shorts

A small additional project for myself, out of remnants of the grey fabric.

Almost every summer I make a pair of shorts, I've already made three pairs, using Burda pattern 118 06/2021. However this summer even these shorts felt too long and warm for me, so I made a lighter and shorter pair. The pattern is another Burda pattern I've used before, but modified probably beyond recognition.

I made this pair in 2021 for Gaby, using a beautiful scuba fabric. The original features front welt pockets, but I wanted different types of pockets. I drafted the pockets myself and then cut the pattern and added four pleats, to add some volume and interest to the pockets.

As my shorts are made out of knit fabric, I completely skipped the fly front zipper and the back darts - I simply added a wasteband with an inserted elastic and also a tie, mostly to break the grey monotony.

Size: 36, modified
Fabric: polycotton knit
Time to make: 2 days

I also reduced the size of the shorts from 36 to 34 and shortened the crotch length by 3 cm. If i ever make these again, I should deepen the pockets and reduce the crotch length by 2 cm at the front and at the back, for even better fit.

Anyway, these were a quick and fun project and a practical use of fabric leftovers, so I'm pretty happy with them. I was thinking of adding some embroidery or doing some drawings with a textile marker, but in the end decided not to bother and left them plain.


No comments:

Post a Comment