Friday, February 4, 2022

Teal Blouse with High Turtleneck

I have a new favourite blouse! 

I bought this deep teal ITY at the end of last year, it is of the same type and quality as this wine ITY I sewed in 2020 and wore a lot throughout the temperate temp months.

I was really keen on sewing a similar blouse, I even bought several Burda patterns, but nothing clicked. I was almost ready to make a repeat of the pattern of the wine blouse, when I came upon Burda's FREE online sewing tutorial of Burda #112 of 10/2021. It is one of the patterns I actually bought when the magazine came out, but had my reserves about it.


The original blouse in the magazine is made out of thick and form-preserving knit fabric. However, the online tutorial showed how the pattern behaved with soft and fluid knits and I gasped - this was exactly what I was looking for. After I downloaded the course, I watched the tutorial videos one after the other so eagerly, as if it was a crime tv series - I was so hooked and itching to give the pattern a try. 

I watched the videos again while cutting and gluing the pattern, and then modifying it to fit my proportions. I shortened it my usual 1 cm above the bust, 2 cm above the waist and I didn't add hem allowance, thus additionally shortening the length by 2.5 cm. 

For the sleeves, I usually shorten Burda's long sleeves, designed for normal height, by 5-6 cm. I didn't want the cuffs to be too long, so I distributed the excessive length, by taking 2 cm off the sleeve body and 4 cm off the cuffs, and of course I also adjusted the length of the sleeve head to reflect the shortening of the armhole, as I am proportionately short everywhere, compared to Burda standards.

I didn't make any modifications to the neckpiece, but if I make this pattern again, I would widen it just a tiny bit, to make it lay a bit flatter. Nevertheless, I like it a lot as it is now too.

Size: 36, shortened
Fabric: ITY, 95% polyester 5% spandex 
Time to make: 3 days

I'm very pleased with the final result and heartily recommend the online tutorial.


No comments:

Post a Comment