Friday, March 27, 2020

And Sew On

My finished sewed items are piling up, and though I still hope to be able to photograph them modeled, a few still pictures:

: The latest, finished only this morning - a skirt for Gaby. The pattern is # 112 from BurdaStyle 05 / 2019. I already made this skirt for myself, but was not happy with the fit. Based on my skirt, I narrowed and shortened the pattern pieces and the new checkered skirt fits Gaby just perfectly. It turned out the pattern is designed for banana shaped bodies, like Gaby's (less difference between the waist and hip circumference), while I'm the more mass distributed pear shape and will have to play with the design to make one for myself as well.


The inside of the skirt - I used cotton shirting remnants to make the lined yoke. Hand stitched hem.


Invisible zipper. Amazingly I had just the right color and size invisible zipper for this skirt!

I also made two blouses out of pattern # 101 by Burdastyle 03 / 2020. The pattern calls for lightweight knit, but I made mine out of lightweight wovens.


The toile is out of some lightweight cotton, I made it size 34 for Gaby, but she did not like the color and it will go into the donation bins.

The second blouse is size 36 for me, made out of lightweight linen gauze. I love the fabric and the color, but as it is very, very loosely woven, I made all the seams enclosed french seams, including the sleeves.


It turned out a nice wearable blouse, my only gripe is with the front neck, which is supposed to be boat neck, but is a bit wide on me, so I inserted an elastic thread to gather it a bit. If we are at all able to go out this spring, I hope I'll get to wear it :)

I also made a second version of the Think Pink Cardigan. This one is size S and fits me much better than the lavender one (which I still wear a lot at home). I do not like the fabric, which is thin polyester (or polycotton) knit. When I bought it I thought it was cotton, but it has definitely a lot of polyester, the cotton is debatable. I plan to make another one of these cardigans in a thick cotton knit, but I'm still hesitating whether to stick to the S size or to go up to the M (this cardigan really runs tight and small, and I'm a small person and rarely have that problem).


And the last of my finished makes - dress #105 of Burdastyle 01 / 2020. I made size 18 and ran into my frequent problem with Burda patterns - if the skirt fits my hips, it's too wide at the waist :( I narrowed the waist by 4 cm and it is still shapeless. A narrow belt could work, if I had the figure for belts, but I'm short waisted and belts simply do not fit my figure type, as they shorten me additionally. I'm planning on adding an elastic to the inside of the waist to see if this would fix the fit. The fabric is natural viscose, all the seams are french seams and I inserted an invisible zipper at the back.


No comments:

Post a Comment