Monday, May 21, 2018

Matcha Cupcakes


Husband and Gaby are big tea drinkers and connoisseurs and they are trying and testing new teas on a regular basis. (I'm a coffee person but I do like some of their teas too). The latest in our collection is matcha - sort of an instant tea, made of finely ground leaves, which I'll honestly admit I thoroughly disliked. However the curious thing about matcha is that there are many interesting recipes, using this tea as food dye and spice and today I made one of these - matcha cupcakes, based primarily on this recipe.
Ingredients for the cakes: 
  • 1 egg
  • 260 g flour + 2 tsp baking powder
  • 150 g sugar
  • 180 ml milk + 2 tsp matcha
  • 60 g sunflower oil
  • a pinch of salt

For the cups:
  • 200 ml whipping cream
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 50 g chocolate
  • strawberries


Preparation: Sift the flour and add the salt, the baking powder and the sugar. Beat the egg with the oil, mix the milk with the matcha and add the milk to the beaten egg. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture. Distribute into cupcake forms and bake in a preheated oven at 180C. When the cakes are completely cooled, add the whipped cream, strawberries and melted chocolate on top. I'm a beginner with cream toppings and my cakes look very amateurish, but they were quite tasty. I did not add matcha to the whipping cream, but I might next time for a more pronounced matcha taste, as the taste of the tea in the cakes is barely discernible. 


1 comment:

  1. Fun. I drink lots of tea too. One is matcha. I love green tea.

    ReplyDelete