Friday, October 6, 2023

Blueberry Crumble

This summer we got into the habit of picking a few handfuls of wild berries from the places we hike and then I would make some dessert or two with them. One of our favourites turned out to be the berry crumble, and the best of them all - blueberry crumble. Probably because blueberries are kind of neutral in taste, not too sweet and not too sour, but they make for the perfect filling.

This is the latest crumble that we cut this morning for the morning coffee. We picked the blueberries on Osogovo mountain, but as it turned out we had gathered only 100 g, I added 100 g of frozen cranberries I had in the freezer. And yup, that's my breakfast just before I opened my Duolingo for the morning portion of lessons:)

The recipe I came up with is a compilation from here and there, fine-tuned to my kitchen and taste:

For the crust:

  • 90 g butter, soft, but not melted
  • 50 g sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 250 g flour
  • 5 g baking powder
  • pinch of salt

For the filling:

  • 200 g blueberries (100 g blueberries and 100 g cranberries)
  • 120 g sugar
  • 15 g corn starch

Preparation:

Mix the soft butter with the sugar. No need to beat them to a cream, though one could, I suppose, but thorough mixing with a fork seems enough for me. Then add the egg and incorporate it into the batter. Add the flour with the salt and the baking powder, until your mixture turns into big crumbs.

Prepare the filling, adding the sugar to the berries. Then add the corn starch, it will help thicken the filling, while baking.

Place 2/3 of the crumbs into the baking dish and flatten them, covering the bottom and partially the wall of the dish. Spread the filling on top. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 of the butter crumbs.

Place in a preheated oven at 180C and bake for approx. 20 min, until the peaks of the crust become light brown. Leave to cool completely and serve with coffee. I know that some people like crumbles with vanilla ice or vanilla sauce, but I've tried it and to me the additional sweetener kills the taste of the berries, so I prefer to serve it au naturel. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment