Friday, March 4, 2022

Flared Leggings

I found my new favourite style of pants and leggings - the flared leggings. No more skinny yoga style leggings or pants for me, just give me the flare! I love it and I find it very flattering, especially on a petite person like me.

This is, if I'm not mistaken, my first KnipMode pattern I've made for myself. I have bought probably half a dozen of their patterns for women, but because their standard women height is 172 cm and even the small size in their size table seams biggish for me, I kept postponing the actual testing and sewing of their patterns.

In the end, I fell so much in love with these leggings, that I decided to give them a go. I printed the pattern, then took out a pair of old ponte trousers I had once that I know fit me well, measured the relevant lengths and widths and ended shortening the crotch part of the leggings by 6 cm (7 cm for the back!) and additionally shortening the legs by 6 cm, so a total -12 cm from the smallest size. However, as far as widths went, the pattern turned fitted enough, just as I like it, so I didn't meddle there. Because of fabric shortage and some personal preference, I also significantly reduced the flare of the pants.

I am totally happy with how these turned out, but next time I am willing to experiment with a fully flared pair, probably in a lighter ponte fabric in a large floral print, or a bright solid colored pair with a big yoga-style waist band. Yea, we all need cheering with the awful situation only several hundred kilometers away from our borders :(

My fabric is some Italian cotton ponte of excellent quality. However, after I washed and centrifuged the fabric in advance, it shrank more than I had envisioned when buying it, so I was a couple of centimeters short of length for the back of the trousers. To save the day, I decided to add a small yoke at the back and make it a feature. I think it turned out very well and even adds to the otherwise pretty simple design of the leggings.

 
 
Size: S, shortened and modified
Fabric: cotton ponte, 1m
Time to make:  2 days

 


No comments:

Post a Comment