Monday, January 24, 2022

Blue ITY Tunic

And here's the last thing I made in 2021 (finished on December 26th, to be precise) - a tunic out of a small piece of nice ITY fabric.

This was again one of those small cuts I find sometimes in the local fabric shops, less than a meter long, which I find a sweet challenge. As I am small, I can usually easily get a top out of such pieces. In this particular case I wanted to combine it with a remnant from another ITY fabric - white with blue hearts, the same blue as this navy ITY. And I even bought the dress pattern with these two fabrics in mind.

The pattern is Burda #117 08/2021, made in two complementing colors. My idea was to make the front and the back out of the white ITY and the sleeves and the skirt out of the blue. Nice idea and I might actually one day bring it to fruition with some other pieces of fabric. However the cuts from the white ITY turned out to be too small and strangely shaped and I could not fit the body pieces of the dress, however I tried. So, I decided to make the whole thing out of the blue ITY and to cut it as a tunic, similarly to the tunic, shown in Burda #109 06/2021, which I also happen to have.

I should probably mention here that the tunic was initially intended for Gaby and I was hurrying to finish it before her flight back to Vienna. She was totally on board with the idea for the color blocked tunic, but when she saw the finial all navy result, she did not like it and left it to me.

Demonstrating the ruffle on my sleeve :)

Because I was making the tunic for Gaby, who is some 3 inches taller than me, I did not make any corrections to the length of the body, I simply cut size 36 and cut the skirt about 14 cm long from the waist. Unfortunately, the fit turned out rather loose and unflattering and if I were to make it again I would have to introduce some crucial corrections to fix it.

Size: 36, cut to tunic length
Fabric: ITY
Time to make: 3 days

Despite the somewhat unflattering fit, the fabric and the pattern are very easy to wear - the fabric is very fluid, doesn't wrinkle and the color is pretty basic and universal, so I expect this little top will actually get a lot of wear once we are out of the -14C temperature range (the forecast for tonight).


No comments:

Post a Comment