Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Burda 6874 Men's Shirt



This is another one of my recent makes - a men's shirt out of cotton shirting fabric. The pattern - Burda 6874 is quite popular and I was especially glad to find that Carolyn had made quite a few of these. I followed her instructions for the flat seams and this is so far the best shirt I've ever made - as far as sewing skills go. The fitting is another matter altogether :( I made the shirt for my father, guessing his size based on my men (husband and son). It turned out I had guessed wrong and the shirt came too small and too short. It remained for my son, though the fit isn't quite right for him too. I'll be making another one for my father two sizes larger, hopefully the new one will fit him better.

A couple of pictures of Alex wearing the shirt. Sorry for the crumpled state it got after all the traveling that happened before I managed to take the pictures.



A few shots of the sunflower fields we passed by while traveling. I just love fields of crops!

The inside of the shirt - flat felled seamed sleeves. There are no raw edges zigzagged or otherwise cleaned - everything is hidden inside flat felled seams.

The outside of the sleeve - I just love how the seams aligned!


4 comments:

  1. I like the fabric; it looks lightweight and cool to wear in sunny weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The fabric is really very good and high quality. I have about an yard of it left and I'll try to squeeze something out of it, as it is too good to be thrown away.

      Delete
  2. Great job! The finishes are wonderful - the collar stitching, the front placket and seams are so professional.

    Your sewing has come so far in such a short time (which is really no surprise to me - you are very talented)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you are so kind! I've come to enjoy sewing a lot and thanks to the internet now I have so many blogs and video tutorials to learn from. It's easy to get better with tutors like Carolyn and Diane Deziel and many other wonderful ladies.

      Delete