Monday, October 15, 2018

Pumpkin Dinner Rolls

It's pumpkin season and I'm trying out new pumpkin recipes. Yesterday I steamed half a butternut squash, pureed it with sugar, whipped 200 g cream and mixed the pumpkin with the cream for a fluffy sweet dessert.This morning there were still two cups of the pumpkin cream in the fridge, so when youtube offered me this pumpkin dinner rolls video (how did they know the contents of my fridge !!!!) I thought - this is serendipity, I have to try these rolls.


Because I used my pumpkin cream mixture, my ingredients are a bit different from those in the video:

Ingredients:
  • 200g pumpkin puree
  • 60 g cream
  • 100 g sugar
  • 35 g olive oil
  • 350 g flour
  • 3 g salt
  • 7 g instant dry yeast
  • 30 g milk
  • 1 egg

I turned on the oven at 40C, poured the cold pumpkin cream mixture in the metal bowl of the mixer and put it in the oven to bring it to room temperature. Meanwhile I added the yeast to 30 g warm milk with 1 tbsp of sugar. When the puree was warm enough I added all of the listed ingredients to the bowl (only half the beaten egg) and turned the mixer on for 10 min. After the dough was done mixing I covered the bowl with cling foil and put it in the warm oven (40C) for 45 min.


After the dough had doubled it's size I kneaded it lightly, divided it into 16 balls and cut them with oily scissors as shown in the video. Then I left the mini pumpkins to proof again in the warm oven for 20  min.

After the second proofing I turned the oven to warm to 180C and meanwhile I glazed the pumpkins with the second half of the beaten egg and a tbsp of oil. Then I baked the pumpkins until golden. The texture of the rolls is very fluffy and delicate, the taste is yummy with just a hint of sweetness, this recipe is a keeper. Next time I want to try the original recipe and the second method for preparing the pumpkins, using cheese filling and string ties.


1 comment: